What is referencing?
Referencing is the way that you describe the sources of information and ideas that you use in your assignments.
Why do I need to reference?
- To indicate where you get your information/ideas from.
- So the reader can verify your sources.
- To avoid plagiarism. Plagiarism is when a person tries to present someone else's work as their own. Penalties for plagiarism can include loss of marks, failing a subject or failing your course. You might like to watch this entertaining video on plagiarism.
What do I have to reference?
- If you have used anything in your assignment that was originally written or created by someone else, you must reference it.
- This does not just mean direct quotes... it also includes any ideas you have paraphrased or summarized…
- It applies to anything you use - graphs, statistics, images etc.