Skip to main content
Australian Bureau of Statistics
ABS national statistical headlines
About the ABS
The ABS provides statistics on a wide range of topics including economy, environment, industry, business, Census, housing, population, regional statistics, social matters, and condensed facts about Australia.
All of the statistics on the ABS website can be accessed free of charge without login. For researchers it is possible to access more detailed data/microdata through a special arrangement.
What can I find on the ABS website?
How to search ABS publications
ABS provides a number of ways to search for its publications:
- Search ABS by popularity, topic, release date and more.
- Click Statistics - search by Catalogue Number, Release Date, Topic or Title to access to the full range of ABS statistical and reference information (updated weekdays at 11:30am, Canberra time)
- ABS Catalogue (2005) - refer to the Index at the end of this publication for relevant keywords, e.g.
- Look for Indigenous Australians, with the subcategory health. The number listed is 4704.0(93) (The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.)
- (93) is the page number in the ABS Catalogue, giving a description of the content
- Refer to the ABS Help index to find answers to common questions about using ABS such as Navigate to Statistics, Interpret Catalogue numbers, Use the Theme pages, Find Census Data, Cite ABS Sources
We acknowledge the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and acknowledge Traditional Owners of the lands where our staff and students, live, learn and work.